Official website of the Regional Council of Tourism of Casablanca
Saturday
 
 
 
 
 
 
Home HomeVisite CasaCity Center
City Center
Casablanca is today a headlight city, a permanent tribute to architecture, an economic heart leading a whole nation.Cosmopolitan and alive, a pioneer spirit blows on the city. ts streets are echoing all languages, the modes follow one another and the ideas are born at an unrestrained pace.

Mohammed V Boulevard

This very commercial boulevard is bordered by buildings built in the thirties. In the buildings No. 3, 40, 67, 73, 97 are mixed, with much charm, European and oriental inspirations.

The Central Market

Located at the middle of Mohammed V Boulevard, it is open everyday from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., except during holidays. Flowers, fruits, spices, meat, fish and shellfish are so beautifully presented that they give appetite.
Opposite the market, there is the old Lincoln hotel with its beautiful hispano-moorish frontage (closed and in restoration).
The Colbert street is along the market and leads to the Royal Armed Forces Avenue where are concentrated the banks, travels agencies and luxury hotels of the city.

United Nations Square

The main arteries of Casablanca are articulated around the United Nations Square which links the old Medina and the new city. This square was arranged at the beginning of the century and then redesigned and widened during the fifties to meet the needs for the East-West traffic of the city. Nearby Bab Jedid, the southern entrance of the old Medina there is the Clock Tower. Commander Dessigny decided in 1910 to set up this kind of "laic minaret" so as to introduce at the same time the hour and the colonial order. It was destroyed in 1940 and identically rebuilt in 1992. The square can be crossed via an underpass with a cupola designed by the architect Zevaco, also recently renovated in 2005. (The underpass is actually closed for renovation).

Central Post

Built by the architect Adrien Laforgue, 1918 to 1920, the post office was the first building to be constructed in Mohamed V Square which comprises the law courts, the Wilaya… Elegant construction, the building contains an extraordinary zellige panel under the arcades of the main entrance, and an art-deco counter hall, lit by a glazed cupola. The building has been renovated recently (2005).

Mohammed V Square

Designed in 1920 by the architect Joseph Marrast, it represents the administrative centre of the city, the French Consulate that has in its Honour yard the statute of Lyautey, is located between the Wilaya (Prefecture) and the Law Courts, built in 1925. Just in the middle of Mohammed V square, a Fountain with huge circular forms offers a light and music show.

The Arab League Park

As a real lung of the city, this park, crossed by a long perspective bordered with palm trees, was created in 1918. It is an immense green field where arcades, pergolas and shaded café terraces invite to a pause. In the North, surrounded by gardens, there stands the old church of the Sacred Heart, built in 1930.