Official website of the Regional Council of Tourism of Casablanca
Saturday
 
 
 
 
 
 
Home HomeVisite CasaThe Old City
The Old City
The old city, formerly surrounded by ramparts only few of which still exist, lines the coast for one kilometre and adjoins the city centre. Partially destroyed by the earthquake of 1755, the old Muslim city contains the oldest masterpieces of the city.

Sidi Kairouani’s shrine

Beside Tnaker street, the shrine shelters the burial place of the first patron saint of the city, Sidi Allal El-Kairouani and his daughter, Lalla Beïda. The legend goes back to the 14th century: leaving Kerouan, a sacred city in Tunisia, for Senegal, the ship of Sidi Allal run aground along the shore of Casablanca where he was rescued by fishermen. Upon the death of his wife, he was joined by his unique daughter whose ship run aground as well and drowned. Sidi Allal built a sanctuary for his daughter called the Whitehouse (Casablanca or Dar El Beïda) paying tribute to Lalla Beïda, famous for the whiteness of her skin.

The consulates area

Around the residences of the main foreign powers, many Europeans, attracted by the commercial expansion of the city, settled in beautiful houses. Spanish Franciscans built a church in Tangier street in 1891.

Dome of marabout Sidi Bou Smara

During the 10th century, passing through the city, Sidi Bou Smara (the man with the nails) requested from the inhabitants of the city some water to do his ablutions. Since a terrible draught had been raging, he was thrown with stones and insulted. He then hit the ground with his stick of a pilgrim, a source gushed. The inhabitants would not let him leave the city, he planted a fig-tree that took a huge shape and lived under its shade. Since that date, the visitors of his dome used to hammer nails in the tree trunk to invoke the saint’s protection.

The Mellah

The old Jewish area, seated in the opposite side of the shore, had not been restricted as in most of the Moroccan cities. It was partly destroyed in the 30’s during the building of France Place, currently United Nations Place.

The Sqala

Seated in Almohades Boulevard, in front of the fishing port, this 18th century fortified bastion is one of the rare remains of the reign of Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdellah, the Alaouite sultan who rebuilt the city in 1770. Wishing to make of it a resistance point against the European incursions, he armed the city with a battery or sqala that still has its canons aimed at the sea. Today, the platform accommodates a beautiful restaurant with a panoramic sight on the Atlantic Ocean.

Bab El Maraa

The gate of the Navy, built in the old wall during the second half of 18th century, had been until the beginning of the 20th century the only gate linking the city to the port. In the surrounding area, is seated the mosque Jameâ Ould El-Hamra built in the end of the 18th century.